If you’ve been sleeping on a traditional innerspring mattress for years, you may be wondering if it’s a good idea to switch to a hybrid mattress. Here at Louisville Mattress — a family-run mattress store just outside Louisville, Kentucky – hybrid mattresses are some of our top sellers. You’ll find general information to guide your purchasing decision here or you can stop by our store.
What is a hybrid mattress?
Hybrid mattresses are a blend between traditional spring coil mattresses and newer specialty foam mattresses. Their construction includes an individually encased innerspring core with outer layers of memory foam, gel foam, latex, or a mixture of the three. You could view it as getting the best of both worlds – the durability and stability of an innerspring mattress, combined with the comfortable, body-conforming, pressure-relieving mattress.
Variations in style and structure exist, including:
- Number and gauge of inner spring coils
- Coil arrangement
- Number of foam layers
- Firmness (from ultra-firm to ultra-plush and everything in between)
A hybrid mattress may feel very different than what you’re used to, depending on which characteristics are dominant. For instance, innerspring mattresses offer a high degree of support and the feeling that you’re sleeping “on top” of the mattress. There is some bounce and it’s easy to get up. By contrast, foam mattresses conform to the body, so it feels as though you are sleeping “down in” the mattress. It may be more difficult to get up out of bed, but you’re less likely to feel your partner’s tossing and turning in the night. When shopping, pay special attention to the thickness of the foam layers, You can find memory foam or latex hybrid mattresses with:
- 5 inches of foam or less – feel more like innerspring
- 5 – 3 inches of foam – feel like an equal mixture of innerspring and foam
- 3+ inches of foam – feel more like foam
Benefits of hybrid mattresses
You may like a hybrid mattress if:
- You want more sleep-able surface, resting comfortably up to the edge of the bed.
- You want a cushy night’s sleep, without forming body impressions over time.
- You want the conforming comfort of foam, but sleep hot and need more surface breathability.
- You desire more softness and pressure point relief than a conventional mattress.
- You don’t want a lot of squeaking or tossing and turning.
Hybrid mattress reviews
In most cases, the durability of hybrid beds is not necessarily better than non-hybrids, though prices are about 20 percent greater. Hybrid mattress reviews suggest high owner satisfaction, on par with the rate of satisfaction of the average mattress.
Reviewers give hybrid mattresses high grades for firmness variety. Top names like Serta, Sealy and Simmons offer a plethora of different firmness options. Hybrid mattresses feature:
- General support – There is less sinking than foam, but perhaps not enough underlying support for heavier sleepers.
- Conforming ability – Weight distribution and pressure point reduction are key benefits of this mattress type.
- Motion isolation – Hybrids with a few inches of foam can prevent movements from being felt by partners.
- No noise – Squeaking, creaking and clunking is exceedingly rare compared to traditional mattresses.
- Edge support – Sleepers are better able to rest up to the edge of the bed compared to all-foam mattresses.
- Lowering back pain – Hybrids provide significant pain relief for at least 15% of owners.
- Heavy person friendly – People over 220 pounds report better comfort with firmer hybrids.
The best hybrid mattresses include brands like Beautyrest Black, Beautyrest Recharge Hybrid and Posturpedic Hybrid, among many others.
It is also possible to make your own hybrid by purchasing an innerspring mattress and a separate foam mattress topper. The benefit is that you can simply replace the mattress topper as it wears out, at a lower cost. However, some reviewers have reported that their topper slides around, sags at the edges, sleeps a little hot, off-gasses initially, or works less effectively at relieving back pain.
Find the best hybrid mattress at Louisville Mattress
Ultimately, customers either fall in-love with hybrid mattresses or can’t justify the 20% price increase. It all depends upon your personal preference, which you will know the moment you flop back onto one. Here at Louisville Mattress, we offer multiple brands and models of hybrid mattress for you to test. If that doesn’t strike your fancy, you can do a hybrid mattress comparison with the innerspring mattresses and all varieties of foam mattress we have on our showroom floor. We are fully committed to helping you find a more comfortable night’s sleep by whatever definition that happens to be for YOU!